Wednesday 17 June 2015

Sneaky Bride To Be

      As an Igbo girl, an Ada (first female child- for me, first and only female child of my father), there is a lot expected when it comes to marriage. From Igba nkwu (wine carrying ceremony) to the traditional marriage itself.


           In most part of the world, marriage is mainly an affair between future husband and wife. But in Igboland, located in southeastern part of Nigeria, parents of the bride and groom, their extended families, villagers and towns people play an active part in traditional wedding ceremony. According to Dr. Basden, "Inu nwunye (marriage) has a foremost place in Igbo social economy. It looms upon the horizon of every maid and youth as an indispensable function to be fulfilled with as little delay as possible after reaching the age of puberty".

It is well known in Nigeria that getting married to an Igbo girl is quite an expensive venture. The bride prices and wedding 'list' of some clans, villages and states in the east is outrageous to some people. That aside, I believe Igbo traditional marriage is the best type of cultural marriage there is.

What brought this up? On my way to work today, my friend called me to say her wine carrying ceremony (Igba Nkwu) was coming up this weekend. Then I called my cousin to inform her. We are all friends. Anyways, I tell this cousin of mine whats up and she says she does not know what Igba Nkwu is. Oh! By the way, she's Igbo too. lol.
So I spend another five minutes explaining what it is all about. When I am done, she says,
        'Anyone marrying me and finds out that I really do not know a lot about our marriage culture will just use my head and skip somethings. Mehn, I am so ashamed right now... Buh that aint happening, never! Personally, I will invent stuff too and add to the list.'

And I have been thinking. Funny things. About inventing stuff to add to the list. *wink*

Luckily, my man is not from the East, so it will be easy to pull one on him. I could go "Oh! there's da hair ceremony, you have to buy 6 weaves for me" or "Oh there's da feet ceremony, I have to wear 7 different footwears I have never worn before for seven days after our marriage" (cha-ching).
And "Did I mention the bride price includes a monster truck? We (Adas) dont do used cars. Its tear rubber baebe!


*evil laugh*
 
                                                                 
P.S   I really do not mean this though. Bae, I'm your ride or die chick.
                                                                    Sneaky Bride To Be. 

2 comments: