Tuesday 9 June 2015

Best Friends Are Not Forever

         I have lost a friend. I just realized that. I am sitting in the corner of the room my cousin and I tagged "The Heartbreak Corner" because
that is where we always sit when we need to sort out serious issues with the men in our lives on phone.

         I am sitting here and suddenly the name "Heartbreak Corner" really fits. I am heartbroken. Not from love. I mean, from love, yeah but not from the Eros kind. I am on the phone with my best friend.

It's been a while we spoke so I called...
"by the way, my wedding is close", Ben says.
I am shocked.
"it is July 4th", he continues.
         I am still shocked. I know he is dating a girl. I have met her, she is cool. And Ben and I have talked about the two of them getting married. But this feels so sudden.

         I tell him I will be there. He tells me he we will drop by mum's place to give her my access card into the wedding venue. Then he hangs up.

         I am thinking. How we met, how long we have been friends, all the places we visited together, all we have talked about and how far we have come. Seven years. We used to do stuff together a lot. He even helps me brush my hair. And I am wondering; how did we get to this? How did we get from that to not even knowing he had proposed let alone fixed a date for the wedding ceremony. How did we get from knowing stuff about each other to not knowing anything at all.

It hurts!
        I know I moved to a far away state but I still try my best to keep in touch.

Where did it all go bad? What happened to "Best Friends Forever" we carved on a tree along with our names?
Moving along, Can I really make it to the wedding? What will I wear? I call Ben again.

"what attire will family members put on?" And his reply;
"do you have N25,000 for the 'aseobi'?"

        This is where  it hits me the most. I literally feel the hurt in my chest. I have to pay for it. I really do. 
Wow!
This is not about "us" anymore. It is more than that. More people are involved- his fiancee, her family, his family...

        Back then, Ben would not expect me to pay for stuff. It dawns on me that that era has passed yet I am still live in it.

        This is where the tears flow. This is the point I cry. I have lost him, I realize. I have lost my best friend for life. And it hurts.

#SaySthImGivingUpOnYou



4 comments:

  1. This quite serious and somehow,how I felt when I lost such close friends and family...but in reality,it's what happens and the ones that are still in touch with me,I try to cherish n always appreciate their effort towards me because I've come to realize adulthood and life don't respect a lot of things about us...

    ReplyDelete
  2. We all have lost a best friend at a point. That pain u feel when your best friend has another best friend - you have been replaced - and u can't figure out where it all went wrong.

    After a period of hurt, I put up my "such is life attitude", I dusted up and opened up again to someone else.

    Life is too short to not have a best friend - again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have lost friends too and it really hurts especially when you still feel like there's something worth saving but the other person doesn't feel the same way. Life goes on anyways.

    ReplyDelete